Photography Spotlight: iPhone Photography
Photo Credit | Christopher Wesser, Sandbox Studio Photography
The iPhone and other Smartphone devices are becoming an extremely powerful tool for the professional photographer or photography hobbyist. Smartphone cameras are ever-increasing in quality and usability; and with social media platforms like Instagram and Snapchat, taking pictures on the go is becoming a part of everyday life. As photographers, we believe these everyday, fleeting moments can be just as beautiful and well-captured as the images shot with our DSLR cameras, and we’ve put together a list of tips and helpful articles for making the most of your Smartphone camera.
1. Take a Skillshare class on Mobile Photography – here’s a great one to start with!
2. Use your iPhone in the same way you use your DSLR – look for good compositions, use the Rule of Thirds, and make sure you have great lighting.
3. You can use exposure on the iPhone as well – simply tap the screen on different subjects to expose to that area. Clicking on a bright window will underexpose the rest of the shot, while tapping a darker area will overexpose. Here is a great article with some good examples.
4. There are a number of great apps to use with Instagram, like Square Ready, which instantly formats photos for the square format without cropping out any important visual information.
5. Try new attachable hardware like Olloclip, an iPhone attachment that gives photos different effects like fisheye, wide angle, and macro lens.
6. Taking a little extra time to style your photos can make a big impact on your Instagram and on your business. Styling even everday shots can make them more interesting and more engaging. Here are a few Styling Tips from the Etsy Blog.
7. Check out this article on the HelloBee Blog, which gives a long, helpful list of all the iPhone Photography Apps you can use to get different photo effects.
8. Many times what we’re photographing (on the iPhone) are the people in our lives, and in NAPCP, a lot of times it’s our kids! Here’s a great article on getting the best pictures of your children.
9. Since much of iPhone photography results in sharing to Instagram, here is an informative article on Using Instagram to Grow Your Business.
10. And finally, once you’ve mastered all these iPhone photo tips and tricks and are ready to bring them off of your device, we highly recommend Artifact Uprising’s gorgeous Instagram-friendly books. These make a beautiful keepsake!
* Be sure to follow NAPCP in Instagram and comment below to share your account!
Announcing Our 2018 NAPCP International Image Competition Winners!Hello friends! After much excitement and anticipation, we are absolutely thrilled to announce the winners of our 2018 International Image Competition. Uniquely focused on child photography, the NAPCP International Image Competition features a range of image categories, including Babies, Newborn, Children, Family, Maternity, Siblings, Toddlers, and Seniors. Thank you to our amazing judges who dedicated […]
April 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2017 NAPCP Ambassadors!This month’s issue of Inspired features NAPCP’s 2017 Ambassadors! Click here to read their interviews, find out who’s who for 2018, craft positively perfect paper flowers for Mother’s Day, and see which photos we have featured this month from #napcp on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
Why In-Home Sessions ROCK, by Ashley HammI have been lucky enough to have snapped these little ones for 3 years now and each session is more and more fun. It was December when we decided to avoid trying to make the outdoors work and went for an in-home session. I love in-home sessions, as I love to capture little ones in […]
A Fun, Snow-Filled Family Session from Tracy Cepelak of Tracy Lynn Photography1. Inspiration – The inspiration for this photo session was totally from the mom and dad. They had a very specific vision in their head as to what they wanted their photos to look like and I am so glad that I was able to capture that for them. They wanted a fun, snow filled […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
April 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2017 NAPCP Ambassadors!
This month’s issue of Inspired features NAPCP’s 2017 Ambassadors! Click here to read their interviews, find out who’s who for 2018, craft positively perfect paper flowers for Mother’s Day, and see which photos we have featured this month from #napcp on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
March 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Tina Krafts!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Tina Krafts of Tina Krafts Photography! Click here to read Tina’s exclusive interview, find out how you can get all the materials from the Summit in the NAPCP Store and see which photos we have featured this month from our March hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired […]
February 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Ashley Berrie!
This month’s issue of Inspired features NAPCP’s 2017 Photographer of the Year, Ashley Berrie of Ashley Berrie Photography! Click here to read Ashley’s advice, find out how you can get all the materials from the Summit in the NAPCP Store and see which photos we have featured this month from our February hashtag on Instagram. […]
January Inspired Magazine: The Summit Recap!
This month’s issue of Inspired features all the details from the 2018 Marketing Summit in Atlanta, Georgia! Click here to see all of the beautiful details, learn more about how you can get the materials from the Summit in the NAPCP Store … and get a sneak peek at the judges for the 2018 International […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com