Photography Spotlight: iPhone Photography
Photo Credit | Christopher Wesser, Sandbox Studio Photography
The iPhone and other Smartphone devices are becoming an extremely powerful tool for the professional photographer or photography hobbyist. Smartphone cameras are ever-increasing in quality and usability; and with social media platforms like Instagram and Snapchat, taking pictures on the go is becoming a part of everyday life. As photographers, we believe these everyday, fleeting moments can be just as beautiful and well-captured as the images shot with our DSLR cameras, and we’ve put together a list of tips and helpful articles for making the most of your Smartphone camera.
1. Take a Skillshare class on Mobile Photography – here’s a great one to start with!
2. Use your iPhone in the same way you use your DSLR – look for good compositions, use the Rule of Thirds, and make sure you have great lighting.
3. You can use exposure on the iPhone as well – simply tap the screen on different subjects to expose to that area. Clicking on a bright window will underexpose the rest of the shot, while tapping a darker area will overexpose. Here is a great article with some good examples.
4. There are a number of great apps to use with Instagram, like Square Ready, which instantly formats photos for the square format without cropping out any important visual information.
5. Try new attachable hardware like Olloclip, an iPhone attachment that gives photos different effects like fisheye, wide angle, and macro lens.
6. Taking a little extra time to style your photos can make a big impact on your Instagram and on your business. Styling even everday shots can make them more interesting and more engaging. Here are a few Styling Tips from the Etsy Blog.
7. Check out this article on the HelloBee Blog, which gives a long, helpful list of all the iPhone Photography Apps you can use to get different photo effects.
8. Many times what we’re photographing (on the iPhone) are the people in our lives, and in NAPCP, a lot of times it’s our kids! Here’s a great article on getting the best pictures of your children.
9. Since much of iPhone photography results in sharing to Instagram, here is an informative article on Using Instagram to Grow Your Business.
10. And finally, once you’ve mastered all these iPhone photo tips and tricks and are ready to bring them off of your device, we highly recommend Artifact Uprising’s gorgeous Instagram-friendly books. These make a beautiful keepsake!
* Be sure to follow NAPCP in Instagram and comment below to share your account!
9 Tips for a Successful Session with a ToddlerYou probably had photos taken of your baby, but now you are a parent of a toddler! We all know how fun toddlers are: opinionated, full of energy, playful, but also full of emotions, testing boundaries and challenging. They are fun but they are also a lot of work. Sometimes we dread going anywhere with […]
July 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2018 International Image Competition Winners!This month’s issue of Inspired features our February 2018 International Image Competition Winners! Click here to read their exclusive interviews, learn more about the 2018 Best New Emerging Child Photographer, and see the photos we have featured this month from our #napcp hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your […]
The Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event is Now Open for Submissions!There’s nothing quite like a print competition. And we’re once again giving photographers the opportunity to experience a new aspect of their artistry in this way. Announcing the Second Annual Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event! A creative competition and gallery reception. Through this event we hope you are inspired to take time to develop your […]
The Most Beautiful Celtic Themed Motherhood Photography SessionIt was over a year ago when I first met the beautiful mother (Lindsay) who was the focus of this photography session. We met at the Rock Your Bump trade show that I had the pleasure of being a vendor at in April of 2017. Lindsay came to me with the vision to capture the […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
July 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2018 International Image Competition Winners!
This month’s issue of Inspired features our February 2018 International Image Competition Winners! Click here to read their exclusive interviews, learn more about the 2018 Best New Emerging Child Photographer, and see the photos we have featured this month from our #napcp hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your […]
June 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Lena Antaramian!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Lena Antaramian of Live Love Laugh Photos! Click here to read Lena’s exclusive interview, see all of the Semifinalists in the Best New Emerging Child Photographer Contest, and see which photos we have featured this month from our June hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from […]
May 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Marena Rudy!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Marena Rudy of Marena Beck Photography! Click here to read Marena’s exclusive interview, learn all about our upcoming contests and events, and see which photos we have featured this month from our May hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
April 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2017 NAPCP Ambassadors!
This month’s issue of Inspired features NAPCP’s 2017 Ambassadors! Click here to read their interviews, find out who’s who for 2018, craft positively perfect paper flowers for Mother’s Day, and see which photos we have featured this month from #napcp on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com