Photography Spotlight: iPhone Photography
Photo Credit | Christopher Wesser, Sandbox Studio Photography
The iPhone and other Smartphone devices are becoming an extremely powerful tool for the professional photographer or photography hobbyist. Smartphone cameras are ever-increasing in quality and usability; and with social media platforms like Instagram and Snapchat, taking pictures on the go is becoming a part of everyday life. As photographers, we believe these everyday, fleeting moments can be just as beautiful and well-captured as the images shot with our DSLR cameras, and we’ve put together a list of tips and helpful articles for making the most of your Smartphone camera.
1. Take a Skillshare class on Mobile Photography – here’s a great one to start with!
2. Use your iPhone in the same way you use your DSLR – look for good compositions, use the Rule of Thirds, and make sure you have great lighting.
3. You can use exposure on the iPhone as well – simply tap the screen on different subjects to expose to that area. Clicking on a bright window will underexpose the rest of the shot, while tapping a darker area will overexpose. Here is a great article with some good examples.
4. There are a number of great apps to use with Instagram, like Square Ready, which instantly formats photos for the square format without cropping out any important visual information.
5. Try new attachable hardware like Olloclip, an iPhone attachment that gives photos different effects like fisheye, wide angle, and macro lens.
6. Taking a little extra time to style your photos can make a big impact on your Instagram and on your business. Styling even everday shots can make them more interesting and more engaging. Here are a few Styling Tips from the Etsy Blog.
7. Check out this article on the HelloBee Blog, which gives a long, helpful list of all the iPhone Photography Apps you can use to get different photo effects.
8. Many times what we’re photographing (on the iPhone) are the people in our lives, and in NAPCP, a lot of times it’s our kids! Here’s a great article on getting the best pictures of your children.
9. Since much of iPhone photography results in sharing to Instagram, here is an informative article on Using Instagram to Grow Your Business.
10. And finally, once you’ve mastered all these iPhone photo tips and tricks and are ready to bring them off of your device, we highly recommend Artifact Uprising’s gorgeous Instagram-friendly books. These make a beautiful keepsake!
* Be sure to follow NAPCP in Instagram and comment below to share your account!
Keeping Cozy for Cold-Weather SessionsWe have seen some crazy weather here in Atlanta, GA this season — we had the first legitimate snowstorm in many years, and the week prior, temps were in the 60s! As a photographer who typically shoots outdoors using natural light, I’ve found that clients are sometimes hesitant to keep their scheduled sessions when the […]
An Emotional Documentary Newborn Session & FilmInspiration I was inspired in this session by the emotional connection between the mom, dad, and baby. From every angle, there was an emotional connection and strong bond. A sense of pride, excitement, and deep love came pouring from this family. I really did not have to do much directing — these are my favorite […]
Golden Hour: A Family Session at the BeachThe inspiration for this photo session was to capture my two favorite things: children and the beach. And not any beach … Redondo Beach, California. It’s my happy place; to me it’s pure magic, and the sunsets here are stunning! In California, the land of “forever summer”, sunset beach sessions are a daily possibility. My […]
A Joyful, Refreshing Family Session1. Inspiration My newborn session style is soft and airy, and I would love my outdoor family sessions to match them. I always advise my clients to wear light, monochromatic, neutral colors to coordinate the color palette of the whole family, because they look best in the field. This family looked perfect from head to […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
December Inspired Magazine: Featuring Kristen Montgomery!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Kristen Montgomery of Kristen Montgomery Photography. Click here to see her beautiful work, learn more about the 2018 Marketing Summit and get a sneak peek at the 2018 NAPCP Image Competitions! Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save
November Inspired Magazine: Featuring Hannah Drews Eggert!
Click here to read our November magazine featuring Hannah Drews Eggert! See Hannah’s beautiful work, learn more about the 2018 Marketing Summit and read about the NAPCP 2017 Photographer of the Year! Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save Save
Marketing Summit 2018: You’re Invited!
You’re invited to register for our January 17-19, 2018 Marketing Summit in Atlanta, today! Registration is LIVE. We’re talkin’ setting and accomplishing goals, the best way to market yourself through blogging and email campaigns, and anything and everything you need to know about growing your social media presence organically (read: in the best possible way). […]
October Inspired Magazine: Featuring Second Half 2017 Image Competition Winners!
Click here to read our October magazine featuring the winners of our Second Half 2017 Image Competition. See their beautiful work and read their inspirational interviews – guaranteed to give you the little “push” you need to get you through to Christmas. Don’t forget, Inspired is now printable! Print your copy straight from MagCloud, and […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com