29 Apr Happy Fridays! New Uses from Real Simple
Oh how I adore Real Simple. It is one of my absolute favorite publications and is accompanied by an equally impressive website! If I am ever in between issues and looking for some home makeover inspiration, or maybe a delicious recipe for Friday night, or even a few new fashion trends, Real Simple is my first stop. But aside from the previously mentioned topics, my favorite Real Simple find has to be New Uses For Old Things. They have one for almost anything and everything! So this week, with the beautiful arrival of spring in mind, I have featured a few gardening inspired new uses. Who knows…you may have all of the gardening necessities you need just lying around the house 🙂
From Top to Bottom, Left to Right:
1) Use a coffee filter to line a pot before potting to ensure soil does not leak out through drainage holes that may be too large.
2) If planning to leave town for a few days, water your plants by filling a sink or basin with a few inches of water and placing a towel underneath your plant to aid with absorption.
3) Use old vases to make a container garden for herbs and small plants. Make sure to fill the bottom with small rocks or pebbles to help drainage.
4) Poke a few drainage holes in the bottom of a yogurt cup and start growing seeds there before transplanting them to larger pots or garden beds.
5) Tired of getting dirt under your fingernails while gardening? Quick remedy: scrape your fingernails along a bar of soap beforehand to keep dirt out.
6) Supplement potting mix by filling the bottom of a planter with leftover packing peanuts. They are lightweight and improve drainage, which promotes healthy roots.
Find several other great ideas for new uses here! Happy Friday everyone!