Happy Friday: Date Ideas for Cold Weather
It is so important to make quality time with your spouse, partner, friends a priority. A valentine is nice, but experiences and and time are priceless, so to speak. So other than chocolate and flowers, here are some ways to fill your loved one’s love tank this time of year!
1. Find snow. When my husband and I lived in Northern California, we had to drive to it. Now that we live in Colorado, it often only involves stepping out our front door. Find it, and play in it! Make a snowman, or have a snowball fight if you’re feeling brave.
2. Go ice skating outside. If you have winter weather, chances are your city (or one near you) has an outdoor skating rink. Many rinks are free to skate, and only charge a small skate rental fee if you don’t have your own.
3. Catch a matinee. Don’t forget to split a large popcorn and a large soda! So bad they’re good — and necessary. Lots of theater chains run inexpensive marathons of all the Oscar nominees this month. “Why yes, we DID see Birdman!”
4. Eat dinner at a hidden restaurant. Large cities across American have tons of these gems! That train car or shipping container you walk by twice a week might actually be something more. Take a look! Some cities, like Boston, even have guides.
5. Volunteer. A local animal shelter gets my vote, but there are myriad opportunities!
6. Build a blanket fort. In the days before we had children, my husband Tim and I once built a blanket fort on the floor of our first apartment. We ordered pizza and watched an entire season of a favorite TV show, and it’s one of my best memories.
7. Enjoy live performance art. Ballet. Modern dance. Stomp. Poetry. Broadway!
8. Grab a hot beverage and window shop.
9. Go on a carriage or sleigh ride.
10. Take a class together. Cooking, dance … check out your local community center for some awesome options!
11. Grab the kids. Invite them to join you in a trip down memory lane. Bring out your wedding album, a pregnancy or birth album, photos of you traveling the world! Show your children another side of you.
Thank you to the following NAPCP photographers for contributing their images to this post! In order of appearance: Brandi Lee (Balee Images) | Judy Reinford Photography | Jen Petritz Photography | Heidi Peters Photography | Abbe McCracken Photography
napcp contributor meet Katie Mitchell
About the Contributor: Katie, our Editorial Manager, is our wordsmith and communications extraordinaire! After college and graduate school, she worked in the nonprofit world, and briefly in politics. She realized she'd be quickly burned out, and started writing for various lifestyle websites. Before landing at NAPCP, Katie shot product photography for Etsy shops and other small business owners. Katie also works with Pinterest, as a member of their Pinfluencer team. She is passionate about making the world a happier, more beautiful place! Katie lives for her husband and two children, updating their totally 90's home, and finding joy in the small things. Even washing dishes.
A Black and White Spring Breeze Farm Senior SessionInspiration: One of my senior models, Catie, rides horse and competes in competitions. While my first visual was her riding through a field of wildflowers, with a flowing gown floating in the air, I dug a little deeper and wanted to explore what a day in her life was actually like. We decided to meet […]
5 Tips for Photographing Your Child’s First Day of SchoolBecoming a mother was a life changing experience for me. And not just the everyday changes like no longer being able to EVER sleep in again, or finding the time to do anything that didn’t involve my child. It was more than that. It was deeper … Just when I thought I had mastered the […]
Free Custom Wallpaper: Shoot. Edit. Share. Repeat.Free Custom Wallpaper — Competition season is here and today we want to share this free custom wallpaper with you, to download! Download and use this wallpaper for your own personal use. Set it as your device wallpaper or share it via social media. Scroll down for clickable download buttons at the bottom of this […]
An Adorable Family Session in a MeadowInspiration – I relocated to the Oregon last July and we had one of the worst winters in 75 years! You’d not think of Oregon this way because it’s very uncommon. Once spring hit, I was out searching for magical areas around my new home. I found Camassia Nature Preserve and thought what fun it […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
Free Custom Wallpaper: Shoot. Edit. Share. Repeat.
Free Custom Wallpaper — Competition season is here and today we want to share this free custom wallpaper with you, to download! Download and use this wallpaper for your own personal use. Set it as your device wallpaper or share it via social media. Scroll down for clickable download buttons at the bottom of this […]
July Inspired Magazine: Featuring Ute-Christin Cowan!
Click here to read our July magazine featuring Ute-Christin Cowan! Don’t forget, Inspired is now printable! Print your copy straight from MagCloud, and share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save Save Save
June Inspired Magazine: Featuring the First Half 2017 Image Competition Winners!
Click here to read our June magazine featuring the winners of our First Half 2017 Image Competition as well as the 25 semifinalists for the 2017 Best New Emerging Child Photographer Contest! Don’t forget, Inspired is now printable! Print your copy straight from MagCloud, and share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. […]
Summer Birthday Pack: Printables, DIYs and so much more!
Summer is officially upon us folks! Time to soak up some sun, enjoy the longer days and hunker down for the wave of birthday invites to soon flood your inbox. But fear not! If you have been tasked with planning an epic summer fling, it just so happens that we have an equally epic birthday kit perfect for […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com