Happy Friday: Date Ideas for Cold Weather
It is so important to make quality time with your spouse, partner, friends a priority. A valentine is nice, but experiences and and time are priceless, so to speak. So other than chocolate and flowers, here are some ways to fill your loved one’s love tank this time of year!
1. Find snow. When my husband and I lived in Northern California, we had to drive to it. Now that we live in Colorado, it often only involves stepping out our front door. Find it, and play in it! Make a snowman, or have a snowball fight if you’re feeling brave.
2. Go ice skating outside. If you have winter weather, chances are your city (or one near you) has an outdoor skating rink. Many rinks are free to skate, and only charge a small skate rental fee if you don’t have your own.
3. Catch a matinee. Don’t forget to split a large popcorn and a large soda! So bad they’re good — and necessary. Lots of theater chains run inexpensive marathons of all the Oscar nominees this month. “Why yes, we DID see Birdman!”
4. Eat dinner at a hidden restaurant. Large cities across American have tons of these gems! That train car or shipping container you walk by twice a week might actually be something more. Take a look! Some cities, like Boston, even have guides.
5. Volunteer. A local animal shelter gets my vote, but there are myriad opportunities!
6. Build a blanket fort. In the days before we had children, my husband Tim and I once built a blanket fort on the floor of our first apartment. We ordered pizza and watched an entire season of a favorite TV show, and it’s one of my best memories.
7. Enjoy live performance art. Ballet. Modern dance. Stomp. Poetry. Broadway!
8. Grab a hot beverage and window shop.
9. Go on a carriage or sleigh ride.
10. Take a class together. Cooking, dance … check out your local community center for some awesome options!
11. Grab the kids. Invite them to join you in a trip down memory lane. Bring out your wedding album, a pregnancy or birth album, photos of you traveling the world! Show your children another side of you.
Thank you to the following NAPCP photographers for contributing their images to this post! In order of appearance: Brandi Lee (Balee Images) | Judy Reinford Photography | Jen Petritz Photography | Heidi Peters Photography | Abbe McCracken Photography
napcp contributor meet Katie Mitchell
About the Contributor: Katie, our Editorial Manager, is our wordsmith and communications extraordinaire! After college and graduate school, she worked in the nonprofit world, and briefly in politics. She realized she'd be quickly burned out, and started writing for various lifestyle websites. Before landing at NAPCP, Katie shot product photography for Etsy shops and other small business owners. Katie also works with Pinterest, as a member of their Pinfluencer team. She is passionate about making the world a happier, more beautiful place! Katie lives for her husband and two children, updating their totally 90's home, and finding joy in the small things. Even washing dishes.
A Colorful Family Session at Coney IslandInspiration I’m always inspired by the real stories of my families, and my images are an attempt to showcase their unique connection and genuine beauty. This family has chosen adventure to be a central quality of their life together, and are embracing travel with their young daughter and sharing their experiences at dearestdays.com. They wanted […]
What’s in Her Bag: Marisa McDonaldTell us a little about what’s inside your bag. I love my Jo Totes Missy Mint bag! It has custom dividers so I can create perfectly sized sections for my camera and lenses, external pockets, and even a laptop sleeve! My bag pretty much always has a camera (lately, my new Mark IV!), my Sigma […]
#NAPCPColors Round-UpWe rounded up a few of our favorite #NAPCPColors Instagram submissions to kick off our week with a colorful bang! We’re so happy all of our Instagram followers and friends had such a wonderful time participating in this new project, on one of our favorite social media platforms. Julie Campbell Photography Paul Douglas Studio Sandi […]
10 Ways to Get Creative with Your Vacation PhotosSummer has come to an end and that means a lot of families are taking their annual fall break vacations or holiday vacations for the winter. We do one family trip in the spring and every summer we go to Ocean City, NJ. This year was an exception and we took the girls to Iceland […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
September Inspired Magazine: Featuring K.C. Crow!
Click here to read our September magazine featuring K.C. Crow! Don’t forget, Inspired is now printable! Print your copy straight from MagCloud, and share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save Save Save
Announcing Our Second Half 2017 NAPCP International Image Competition Winners!
Hello friends! After much excitement and anticipation, we are absolutely thrilled to announce the winners of our Second Half 2017 NAPCP International Image Competition. Uniquely focused on child photography, the NAPCP International Image Competition features a range of image categories, including Babies, Newborn, Children, Family, Maternity, Siblings, Toddlers, and Seniors. Thank you to our amazing […]
August Inspired Magazine: Featuring Amy Tripple!
Click here to read our August magazine featuring Amy Tripple! Don’t forget, Inspired is now printable! Print your copy straight from MagCloud, and share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save Save
Free Custom Wallpaper: Shoot. Edit. Share. Repeat.
Free Custom Wallpaper — Competition season is here and today we want to share this free custom wallpaper with you, to download! Download and use this wallpaper for your own personal use. Set it as your device wallpaper or share it via social media. Scroll down for clickable download buttons at the bottom of this […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com