Happy Friday: Date Ideas for Cold Weather
It is so important to make quality time with your spouse, partner, friends a priority. A valentine is nice, but experiences and and time are priceless, so to speak. So other than chocolate and flowers, here are some ways to fill your loved one’s love tank this time of year!
1. Find snow. When my husband and I lived in Northern California, we had to drive to it. Now that we live in Colorado, it often only involves stepping out our front door. Find it, and play in it! Make a snowman, or have a snowball fight if you’re feeling brave.
2. Go ice skating outside. If you have winter weather, chances are your city (or one near you) has an outdoor skating rink. Many rinks are free to skate, and only charge a small skate rental fee if you don’t have your own.
3. Catch a matinee. Don’t forget to split a large popcorn and a large soda! So bad they’re good — and necessary. Lots of theater chains run inexpensive marathons of all the Oscar nominees this month. “Why yes, we DID see Birdman!”
4. Eat dinner at a hidden restaurant. Large cities across American have tons of these gems! That train car or shipping container you walk by twice a week might actually be something more. Take a look! Some cities, like Boston, even have guides.
5. Volunteer. A local animal shelter gets my vote, but there are myriad opportunities!
6. Build a blanket fort. In the days before we had children, my husband Tim and I once built a blanket fort on the floor of our first apartment. We ordered pizza and watched an entire season of a favorite TV show, and it’s one of my best memories.
7. Enjoy live performance art. Ballet. Modern dance. Stomp. Poetry. Broadway!
8. Grab a hot beverage and window shop.
9. Go on a carriage or sleigh ride.
10. Take a class together. Cooking, dance … check out your local community center for some awesome options!
11. Grab the kids. Invite them to join you in a trip down memory lane. Bring out your wedding album, a pregnancy or birth album, photos of you traveling the world! Show your children another side of you.
Thank you to the following NAPCP photographers for contributing their images to this post! In order of appearance: Brandi Lee (Balee Images) | Judy Reinford Photography | Jen Petritz Photography | Heidi Peters Photography | Abbe McCracken Photography
napcp contributor meet Katie Mitchell
About the Contributor: Katie, our Editorial Manager, is our wordsmith and communications extraordinaire! After college and graduate school, she worked in the nonprofit world, and briefly in politics. She realized she'd be quickly burned out, and started writing for various lifestyle websites. Before landing at NAPCP, Katie shot product photography for Etsy shops and other small business owners. Katie also works with Pinterest, as a member of their Pinfluencer team. She is passionate about making the world a happier, more beautiful place! Katie lives for her husband and two children, updating their totally 90's home, and finding joy in the small things. Even washing dishes.
We’re Obsessed With This Session + You Will Be, TooRya Duncklee, of Rya Duncklee Studios, photographs fellow NAPCP member, and 2017 NAPCP Photographer of the Year, Ashley Berrie … Inspiration – When Ashley reached out to me to document portraits of her family enjoying time in one of their favorite places, of course I knew I wanted to do the best job I possibly […]
We’re Loving This Underwater Maternity SessionInspiration It’s no secret that I love underwater photography, especially when it involves photographing maternity clients. I feel that it’s an incredible time in a woman’s life, and something to truly celebrate. Underwater always adds such a poetic element to any sessions and a special something that not many other sessions do. When Kathryn Langley, […]
September 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Jaye McLaughlin!Our September issue of Inspired features Jaye McLaughlin of The Life in Your Years Photography! Read her exclusive interview, download your free motivational desktop wallpaper, access helpful resources and learn how to manage your time better in the busy season. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family […]
What’s in Her Bag: Heather Davidson-MeynTell us a little about what’s inside. My bag includes different things for every type of session or age group I’m photographing that day. This bag is packed for an outdoor session with a mom, a dad, and an 18 month-old! I have my Canon 5D Mark 3 together with my 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
September 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Jaye McLaughlin!
Our September issue of Inspired features Jaye McLaughlin of The Life in Your Years Photography! Read her exclusive interview, download your free motivational desktop wallpaper, access helpful resources and learn how to manage your time better in the busy season. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family […]
Announcing the Inspired Gallery Event & Print Competition Winners!
Hello friends! After much excitement and anticipation, we are absolutely thrilled to announce the winners of our Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event. In contrast to our annual International Image Competition, the NAPCP Inspired Gallery Event was creative in nature and gave both members and non-members the chance to place in one of three categories — […]
August 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Heather Crowder!
Our August issue of Inspired features Heather Crowder of Heather Crowder Photography Studio! Read her exclusive interview, get your FREE printable lunch box notes, and see which photos we have featured this month #napcp hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save
July 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2018 International Image Competition Winners!
This month’s issue of Inspired features our February 2018 International Image Competition Winners! Click here to read their exclusive interviews, learn more about the 2018 Best New Emerging Child Photographer, and see the photos we have featured this month from our #napcp hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com