Happy Friday: Date Ideas for Cold Weather
It is so important to make quality time with your spouse, partner, friends a priority. A valentine is nice, but experiences and and time are priceless, so to speak. So other than chocolate and flowers, here are some ways to fill your loved one’s love tank this time of year!
1. Find snow. When my husband and I lived in Northern California, we had to drive to it. Now that we live in Colorado, it often only involves stepping out our front door. Find it, and play in it! Make a snowman, or have a snowball fight if you’re feeling brave.
2. Go ice skating outside. If you have winter weather, chances are your city (or one near you) has an outdoor skating rink. Many rinks are free to skate, and only charge a small skate rental fee if you don’t have your own.
3. Catch a matinee. Don’t forget to split a large popcorn and a large soda! So bad they’re good — and necessary. Lots of theater chains run inexpensive marathons of all the Oscar nominees this month. “Why yes, we DID see Birdman!”
4. Eat dinner at a hidden restaurant. Large cities across American have tons of these gems! That train car or shipping container you walk by twice a week might actually be something more. Take a look! Some cities, like Boston, even have guides.
5. Volunteer. A local animal shelter gets my vote, but there are myriad opportunities!
6. Build a blanket fort. In the days before we had children, my husband Tim and I once built a blanket fort on the floor of our first apartment. We ordered pizza and watched an entire season of a favorite TV show, and it’s one of my best memories.
7. Enjoy live performance art. Ballet. Modern dance. Stomp. Poetry. Broadway!
8. Grab a hot beverage and window shop.
9. Go on a carriage or sleigh ride.
10. Take a class together. Cooking, dance … check out your local community center for some awesome options!
11. Grab the kids. Invite them to join you in a trip down memory lane. Bring out your wedding album, a pregnancy or birth album, photos of you traveling the world! Show your children another side of you.
Thank you to the following NAPCP photographers for contributing their images to this post! In order of appearance: Brandi Lee (Balee Images) | Judy Reinford Photography | Jen Petritz Photography | Heidi Peters Photography | Abbe McCracken Photography
napcp contributor meet Katie Mitchell
About the Contributor: Katie, our Editorial Manager, is our wordsmith and communications extraordinaire! After college and graduate school, she worked in the nonprofit world, and briefly in politics. She realized she'd be quickly burned out, and started writing for various lifestyle websites. Before landing at NAPCP, Katie shot product photography for Etsy shops and other small business owners. Katie also works with Pinterest, as a member of their Pinfluencer team. She is passionate about making the world a happier, more beautiful place! Katie lives for her husband and two children, updating their totally 90's home, and finding joy in the small things. Even washing dishes.
Celebrate in Style: 4th of July Photo Props!Add a little festive flair to your Fourth of July plans with our brand new photo booth props! We have plenty of red, white, and blue goodies for the entire family. The templates are easy to download, easy to print and trim, and ready to go in minutes! Find the full list of supplies needed […]
The 2017 Best New Emerging Child Photographer Winner!We are overjoyed to share with you the winner of NAPCP’s 2017 Best New Emerging Child Photographer Contest. We received hundreds of nominations and were blown away by the caliber of new photographers brought to our attention. From 25 semifinalists, our esteemed panel of judges narrowed the field to only 6 finalists. Voters submitted tens […]
Meet the Photographer: Aly Elliott of Roots and Wings PhotographyWelcome, welcome to the blog, Aly! Aly lives and photographs in Bloomington, Indiana. In her adorable studio on the square, or in a variety of locations in and around Bloomington, Aly strives to create memories and preserve fleeting moments. We’re so excited to get to know her better. Meet Aly! Favorite Movie: I’m a movie […]
New in the NAPCP Store: Snapshot Travel GuideHave you been looking for that perfect summer travel buddy? Someone who will inspire you, push you to explore your surroundings and take it all in? Well, we’re here to tell you a secret … you don’t need one! We’ve created the perfect travel buddy for our photography-loving friends (that you can print)! Introducing the […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
June Inspired Magazine: Featuring the First Half 2017 Image Competition Winners!
Click here to read our June magazine featuring the winners of our First Half 2017 Image Competition as well as the 25 semifinalists for the 2017 Best New Emerging Child Photographer Contest! Don’t forget, Inspired is now printable! Print your copy straight from MagCloud, and share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. […]
Summer Birthday Pack: Printables, DIYs and so much more!
Summer is officially upon us folks! Time to soak up some sun, enjoy the longer days and hunker down for the wave of birthday invites to soon flood your inbox. But fear not! If you have been tasked with planning an epic summer fling, it just so happens that we have an equally epic birthday kit perfect for […]
May Inspired Magazine: Featuring the Inspired Gallery Event Winners!
Click here to read our May magazine featuring the winners of our Inspired Gallery Event! Don’t forget, Inspired is now printable! Print your copy straight from MagCloud, and share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save Save
Announcing the Inspired Gallery Event Winners!
Hello friends! After much excitement and anticipation, we are absolutely thrilled to announce the winners of our Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event. In contrast to our bi-annual International Image Competitions, the NAPCP Inspired Gallery Event was creative in nature and gave both members and non-members the chance to place in one of three categories — […]