Happy Friday: Date Ideas for Cold Weather
It is so important to make quality time with your spouse, partner, friends a priority. A valentine is nice, but experiences and and time are priceless, so to speak. So other than chocolate and flowers, here are some ways to fill your loved one’s love tank this time of year!
1. Find snow. When my husband and I lived in Northern California, we had to drive to it. Now that we live in Colorado, it often only involves stepping out our front door. Find it, and play in it! Make a snowman, or have a snowball fight if you’re feeling brave.
2. Go ice skating outside. If you have winter weather, chances are your city (or one near you) has an outdoor skating rink. Many rinks are free to skate, and only charge a small skate rental fee if you don’t have your own.
3. Catch a matinee. Don’t forget to split a large popcorn and a large soda! So bad they’re good — and necessary. Lots of theater chains run inexpensive marathons of all the Oscar nominees this month. “Why yes, we DID see Birdman!”
4. Eat dinner at a hidden restaurant. Large cities across American have tons of these gems! That train car or shipping container you walk by twice a week might actually be something more. Take a look! Some cities, like Boston, even have guides.
5. Volunteer. A local animal shelter gets my vote, but there are myriad opportunities!
6. Build a blanket fort. In the days before we had children, my husband Tim and I once built a blanket fort on the floor of our first apartment. We ordered pizza and watched an entire season of a favorite TV show, and it’s one of my best memories.
7. Enjoy live performance art. Ballet. Modern dance. Stomp. Poetry. Broadway!
8. Grab a hot beverage and window shop.
9. Go on a carriage or sleigh ride.
10. Take a class together. Cooking, dance … check out your local community center for some awesome options!
11. Grab the kids. Invite them to join you in a trip down memory lane. Bring out your wedding album, a pregnancy or birth album, photos of you traveling the world! Show your children another side of you.
Thank you to the following NAPCP photographers for contributing their images to this post! In order of appearance: Brandi Lee (Balee Images) | Judy Reinford Photography | Jen Petritz Photography | Heidi Peters Photography | Abbe McCracken Photography
napcp contributor meet Katie Mitchell
About the Contributor: Katie, our Editorial Manager, is our wordsmith and communications extraordinaire! After college and graduate school, she worked in the nonprofit world, and briefly in politics. She realized she'd be quickly burned out, and started writing for various lifestyle websites. Before landing at NAPCP, Katie shot product photography for Etsy shops and other small business owners. Katie also works with Pinterest, as a member of their Pinfluencer team. She is passionate about making the world a happier, more beautiful place! Katie lives for her husband and two children, updating their totally 90's home, and finding joy in the small things. Even washing dishes.
It’s You and Me, Baby: A Musician’s Mommy and Me SessionInspiration: This beautiful mom was not able to capture her little girl’s newborn portraits, so it was important for her to document her daughter’s one-year birthday. Favorite Element: I loved that mom wanted to incorporate her viola in the session as she plays professionally and is such a wonderful musician. Biggest Challenge: I found the […]
Presenting the Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event & Print Competition Top 100 Images!Hello, friends! After much excitement and anticipation, we are absolutely elated to present the “Top 100” images of our Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event & Print Competition. In contrast to our annual International Image Competition, the Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event is completely creative in nature and gives both members and non-members the chance to […]
Paper Airplanes: A Styled SessionMy session took place in a local park. The grasses are often overgrown, and the sunlight on a perfect night fills the area with the most magical warm glow. This session was all about my son. He recently turned 6. I love to capture all the magic childhood brings. Raising your children is a magical […]
3 Reasons I Truly Love Being a Professional Family PhotographerI am Mary Okner of Mary Bea Photography. I am based in San Jose, CA and photograph families up and down the San Francisco Bay Area as well as around the country. I’d like to share with you a little bit about myself and 3 reasons why I absolutely love being a family photographer! Growing […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
July 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2018 International Image Competition Winners!
This month’s issue of Inspired features our February 2018 International Image Competition Winners! Click here to read their exclusive interviews, learn more about the 2018 Best New Emerging Child Photographer, and see the photos we have featured this month from our #napcp hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your […]
June 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Lena Antaramian!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Lena Antaramian of Live Love Laugh Photos! Click here to read Lena’s exclusive interview, see all of the Semifinalists in the Best New Emerging Child Photographer Contest, and see which photos we have featured this month from our June hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from […]
May 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Marena Rudy!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Marena Rudy of Marena Beck Photography! Click here to read Marena’s exclusive interview, learn all about our upcoming contests and events, and see which photos we have featured this month from our May hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
April 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2017 NAPCP Ambassadors!
This month’s issue of Inspired features NAPCP’s 2017 Ambassadors! Click here to read their interviews, find out who’s who for 2018, craft positively perfect paper flowers for Mother’s Day, and see which photos we have featured this month from #napcp on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com