6 Whimsical Children’s Books Perfect for Fall
Autumn is in the air, and it’s the perfect time to curl up on the couch with your children, a stack of cozy reads at your feet. We rounded up some old, new, and sure-to-become favorite books to read in fall with our children. Here’s our list of 6 wonderful books to read this season, along with brief reviews. We’d love to know your favorites, too!
1. The Little Yellow Leaf, by Carin Berger. A tiny golden leaf isn’t ready to leave its place on the strong branch of a tall oak tree. As fall unfurls around the leaf, it continues to hold on, uncertain about what the future may hold. Finally, the little yellow leaf spies something scarlet above – what will this change for the leaf? With amazing collage illustrations, Berger sweeps us into the “fury” of fall. Perfect for ages preschool through 2nd grade.
2. South, by Patrick McDonnell. The cartoonist behind Mutts tells a powerful story of friendship and helping others, in this wordless picture book. A small bird wakes up to find that his family and friends have gone south for the winter without him. Surprisingly, a cat named Mooch helps the bird find his way south. For adults and children, readers and non-readers alike, a profound tale … Peruse it with a tissue in hand!
3. Fletcher and the Falling Leaves, by Julia Rawlinson, illustrated by Tiphanie Beeke. Fletcher the fox is collecting the leaves falling from his favorite tree. As the leaves continue to fall, Fletcher is concerned that something awful is happening. Though his mother tells him not to worry, the seasons are changing as they always do, Fletcher goes to bed worried that the tree is very, very sick. Ah, but when Fletcher awakes, something magical has happened! Vibrant watercolor illustrations evoke Fletcher’s emotions, and a special surprise at the end awaits the reader, too. Recommended for ages preschool through 3rd grade.
4. Pumpkin Moonshine, by Tasha Tudor. In the New England of yore, “moonshine” was commonly used as a word for jack-o’lantern, and Sylvie Ann found the largest, roundest pumpkin for her Halloween moonshine. In order to carve the pumpkin, though, petite Sylvie Ann has to get it home! Delicate watercolors and a gentle tale are perfect for those longing for a toned down Halloween story – one representative of the season, and the America of centuries past. For ages preschool through 3rd grade. If you were a Tasha Tudor fan as a child, you’ll want to add this exquisite book to your collection.
5. The Whisper, by Pamela Zagarenski. Released today, this book promises magic. A girl in a red hood borrows a book from her teacher, only to realize upon getting home that the words have escaped. Oblivious to the fact that a fox has netted the words, the girl hears a whisper encouraging her to imagine the stories herself. This is the first author credit for Caldecott-winning artist Zagarenski, and the critics are raving. Fanciful storytelling, and warm, golden fairy tale scenery will make this book a new treasure. Best understood by ages 1st grade and up.
6. The Tea Party in the Woods, by Akiko Miyakoshi. Kikko, a little girl, notices her father forgot the pie he was supposed to bring to her grandmother’s house. She runs to catch him, and, journeying through the snow, comes upon a strange house. Inside is a coat-wearing, purse-carrying lamb, who asks Kikko if she’s there for the tea party! Children will love using their imaginations, and following along with the simple black-and-white illustrations, accented by brilliant gold and red. Recommended for ages kindergarten through 2nd grade.
We included age recommendations with our selections, but we know that these lovely titles would be at home on any bookshelf. We hope you have a wonderful time exploring this list!
Be sure to follow NAPCP on Pinterest for more autumn inspiration!
napcp contributor meet Katie Mitchell
About the Contributor: Katie, our Editorial Manager, is our wordsmith and communications extraordinaire! After college and graduate school, she worked in the nonprofit world, and briefly in politics. She realized she'd be quickly burned out, and started writing for various lifestyle websites. Before landing at NAPCP, Katie shot product photography for Etsy shops and other small business owners. Katie also works with Pinterest, as a member of their Pinfluencer team. She is passionate about making the world a happier, more beautiful place! Katie lives for her husband and two children, updating their totally 90's home, and finding joy in the small things. Even washing dishes.
We’re Loving This Newborn Session with an Older BabyThough most newborn photographers subscribe to the 7-10 day ideal for posed newborn photography, some of my best and most successful newborn sessions take place when the baby is closer to 2 weeks old. A few days isn’t going to make a huge difference in the sleepiness or flexibility factors, but those extra days can […]
December 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Megan Gonzalez!NAPCP’s December 2018 issue of Inspired magazine features Megan Gonzalez of Upon Waves, a feature article by newborn photographer Jessica Lynch, information about the 2019 Educational Summit and more! Snuggle up with a warm blanket and dive right in! Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family and […]
November 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Pamela Salai!NAPCP’s November 2018 issue of Inspired magazine features Pamela Salai of Pamela Salai Photography, holiday NAPCP Gatherings, details on the 2019 Educational Summit, child portrait session tips, 4 Myths About School Photography, and more! Grab a cup of coffee and dive in! Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
Happy ThanksgivingHappy Thanksgiving! We hope all of our members and friends have a wonderful, memorable holiday with family and friends. Thank you to all who tagged photos with the #NAPCPThankful hashtag — we are thankful for YOU! Here are some of our favorites: babyrosephoto | catchiappaphotography | courtneyathome | jennyperryphotography | kateluberphoto | megsausted | osirisphotography […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
December 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Megan Gonzalez!
NAPCP’s December 2018 issue of Inspired magazine features Megan Gonzalez of Upon Waves, a feature article by newborn photographer Jessica Lynch, information about the 2019 Educational Summit and more! Snuggle up with a warm blanket and dive right in! Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family and […]
November 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Pamela Salai!
NAPCP’s November 2018 issue of Inspired magazine features Pamela Salai of Pamela Salai Photography, holiday NAPCP Gatherings, details on the 2019 Educational Summit, child portrait session tips, 4 Myths About School Photography, and more! Grab a cup of coffee and dive in! Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
Registration is NOW OPEN!! NAPCP Educational Summit
Hey, NAPCP! We hope you’re feeling refreshed and energized. We hopped right outta bed this morning because we’ve been looking forward to this day all weekend! Join us and our 6 amazing speakers, in Atlanta, Georgia, for the NAPCP Educational Summit! January 23, 2019 In one day you’ll learn about how being “discovered” is the […]
October 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Inspired Gallery Event Winners!
NAPCP’s October 2018 issue of Inspired Magazine features our Inspired Gallery Event winners. Dive in and see what holiday items are available in the NAPCP shop, learn more from our most recent Marketing Mondays and much more! Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with friends, family and clients. Save
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com