9 Elegant DIY Halloween Decor Projects for the Season
Halloween decor has been around for centuries, but finding on trend decor projects that won’t make you run from fright can be difficult. Here’s what’s cool in Halloween decor this year. (We’re loving metallic hues, and simple black silhouettes!) Pause and admire these chic DIY decorations, then show us your own!
Clockwise, from top left:
1. Metallic pumpkins. No-carve pumpkins are ‘in’. Dress yours up with metallic paint, as shown in Real Simple.
2. ‘Blood’ dipped candlesticks. Martha Stewart is the queen of kitsch-free Halloween. Creepy yet elegant, these towering tapers are sure to spook.
3. Sparkly fall leaves. Fabulous as a mantle centerpiece, or cocktail party decor. But beeeeeewaaaaaare, if you’re scared of glitter!
4. Pumpkin vase. After hollowing out your pumpkin, place your fall floral arrangement in an appropriately sized vase, and display. Fashionable pumpkin carving.
5. Candy display. Emily Schuman, of Cupcakes & Cashmere, shows us how to show off our sweet treats the right way. Apothecary jars look streamlined, while simple white candle pillars lend the cart a haunted touch.
6. Paper bat colony. A fun project to do with your children … Cut out bat shapes from black construction paper and fix to ceilings, door frames, and walls, to create a spooky sight!
7. Cheesecloth ghosts cake topper. Quick, easy, and inexpensive. We won’t tell if you grab a store-bought cake to display your homemade ghosts!
8. Printable Halloween book wraps. May we suggest a volume of Poe, or your favorite Harry Potter?
9. Decoupaged pumpkins. Metallic beauties adorned with encyclopedic creepy-crawlies, from At the Picket Fence, are so pretty, you won’t want to put them away come November!
napcp contributor meet Katie Mitchell
About the Contributor: Katie, our Editorial Manager, is our wordsmith and communications extraordinaire! After college and graduate school, she worked in the nonprofit world, and briefly in politics. She realized she'd be quickly burned out, and started writing for various lifestyle websites. Before landing at NAPCP, Katie shot product photography for Etsy shops and other small business owners. Katie also works with Pinterest, as a member of their Pinfluencer team. She is passionate about making the world a happier, more beautiful place! Katie lives for her husband and two children, updating their totally 90's home, and finding joy in the small things. Even washing dishes.
A Day in the Life of Kimberly Tank: A Homeschooling PhotographerI completed my first personal project, a Project 52, in 2014, which was also the year I really started working to build up my business. The more my business grew, the less I was picking up my camera for personal photos on a daily basis. After that first project, though, I was hooked on personal […]
It’s You and Me, Baby: A Musician’s Mommy and Me SessionInspiration: This beautiful mom was not able to capture her little girl’s newborn portraits, so it was important for her to document her daughter’s one-year birthday. Favorite Element: I loved that mom wanted to incorporate her viola in the session as she plays professionally and is such a wonderful musician. Biggest Challenge: I found the […]
Presenting the Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event & Print Competition Top 100 Images!Hello, friends! After much excitement and anticipation, we are absolutely elated to present the “Top 100” images of our Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event & Print Competition. In contrast to our annual International Image Competition, the Inspired by NAPCP Gallery Event is completely creative in nature and gives both members and non-members the chance to […]
Paper Airplanes: A Styled SessionMy session took place in a local park. The grasses are often overgrown, and the sunlight on a perfect night fills the area with the most magical warm glow. This session was all about my son. He recently turned 6. I love to capture all the magic childhood brings. Raising your children is a magical […]
We are so delighted that you are here. The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is an association whose mission is to promote and support the artistry and integrity of professional child photographers. To accomplish this mission, NAPCP provides the most comprehensive resources for its members, bringing together a community of passionate artists committed to growth in their skills, their artistry, and their businesses.
NAPCP.com (formally pronounced "NAP-C-P") is a place where professional child photographers can come and connect, learn, teach, aspire and grow. It is also a valuable resource for parents who are looking for a professional child photographer in their area, and want to be inspired and educated about our specialized industry.
July 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2018 International Image Competition Winners!
This month’s issue of Inspired features our February 2018 International Image Competition Winners! Click here to read their exclusive interviews, learn more about the 2018 Best New Emerging Child Photographer, and see the photos we have featured this month from our #napcp hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your […]
June 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Lena Antaramian!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Lena Antaramian of Live Love Laugh Photos! Click here to read Lena’s exclusive interview, see all of the Semifinalists in the Best New Emerging Child Photographer Contest, and see which photos we have featured this month from our June hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from […]
May 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring Marena Rudy!
This month’s issue of Inspired features Marena Rudy of Marena Beck Photography! Click here to read Marena’s exclusive interview, learn all about our upcoming contests and events, and see which photos we have featured this month from our May hashtag on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
April 2018 Inspired Magazine: Featuring 2017 NAPCP Ambassadors!
This month’s issue of Inspired features NAPCP’s 2017 Ambassadors! Click here to read their interviews, find out who’s who for 2018, craft positively perfect paper flowers for Mother’s Day, and see which photos we have featured this month from #napcp on Instagram. Print your copy of Inspired straight from MagCloud! Share your favorite pieces with […]
The National Association of Professional Child Photographers is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com