15 Aug Happy Fridays: 5 Tips for Thrifting
1. Thrift often and thrift early: the best time to get to the thrift store is in the morning! Not only will it be less crowded, but you’ll get first dibs on all of the new items for the day!
2. Shop the better parts of town for nicer items: this seems like a no-brainer, but many people will only go to the thrift store that is closest to them. While it’s more convenient, driving a little further to a nicer part of town will yield more high-quality items… and often, the best deals!
3. Thrift while traveling or on vacation: thrifting while you travel can be an exciting experience, especially if you’re in a different culture or region from your hometown. You can often find unexpected treasures or items that are not typically native to where you live. If you find something that won’t fit in your suitcase, many thrift stores can set you up with shipping, or can at least point out the nearest post office.
4. Look for upcycling potential: we love sites like Apartment Therapy and IKEA Hackers because they give great advice and tutorials for updating a really unique find. When thrifting, don’t overlook that beautiful sidetable because it is an ugly color, or pass by that armchair because it has an ugly carpet-bag pattern. Roll up your sleeves and bring those amazing finds back to life.
5. Consult a professional: we love Blue Eyed Yonder’s “Pick With a Pro” Retreat! In this retreat, Krista will accompany you to The World’s Longest Yardsale and provide instruction on how to find unique, beautiful items, as well as offering tips on the values of items and their rarity.
Good luck thrifting and be sure to follow us on Pinterest!